Training Adventures

My personal fitness log. Advice, support, constructive criticism, motivation, and other feedback welcome!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

CrossFit DC! Dumbbells

I returned to CrossFit DC for the first time since before Christmas, and it was terrific. The class has grown a ton. Last time I went, there were four of us. Today there were 15. I was the only woman in the entire gym. The main gymnasium was filled with gay volleyball players, and all of my classmates are men. A number of are semi-pro or college rugby players, which I think is kind of neat. I like being the only woman, because I feel like I don't have to compete with anyone but myself. That, said, I held my own against my classmates, which feels good. It also feels good to have one's grunts overpowered by other, louder grunts. The last good feeling was how shaky and rubbery my arms were when we were finished. That might now feel so good tomorrow.

Warm-up: 20 squats, Samson stretch, 5 dive-bomber push-ups, 20 squats

Dumbbell Workout:
As many rounds in 8 minutes of
5 power cleans
4 renegade rows (2 per arm, 4 push-ups total)
3 push jerks
2 one-arm power snatches (2 per arm)
1 one-arm overhead squat (1 per arm)
Two-minute rest. Repeat thrice.

I used a pair of 15# dumbbells.
First set: 5 rounds + 5 power cleans + 4 r.r.s
Second: 5 rounds
Third: 5 rounds + 5 power cleans

Notes: I cheated on a bunch of the power cleans at first - didn't catch in a deep squat. And I should have had higher elbows in the catch. Also, my push-ups were getting pretty shallow towards the end. Altogether, a solid effort. Great to work out with other people. Great to do so much work!

Then we did three 30-second assisted L-sits. I sat on the ground with my legs out straight in front of me. My partner lifted my heels a few inches off the ground while I pushed my butt a few inches off the ground. Good exercise! Incredible to see the guys doing them unassisted.

A little stretching, and we were done. Yay CrossFit!

1 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger mie said...

hey,
great job!

i thought the point of the power cleans was to catch the bar at a shallow squat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home