Training Adventures

My personal fitness log. Advice, support, constructive criticism, motivation, and other feedback welcome!

Saturday, February 23, 2008

CFSC

I spent a very productive hour training with Hollis at CrossFit Santa Cruz! It was really cool to be there, after seeing it so many videos and photos on the website. The space was a lot smaller than I expected. I got to meet Annie - a celebrity encounter, for sure.

Warm-up: rowing. Got lots of good tips, like making sure my hips and shoulders move as a single unit when I start to push, and pushing off with the ball of my foot, and pulling the bar to my belly-button and not leaning back *too* far.

Technique work: I asked for advice on cleans and kipping pull-ups. We worked on snatches instead, since they're more difficult than cleans, and learning them would mean killing two birds with one stone. I forget the progression of movements we worked on, but it was basically breaking the left down into its component parts - dip drive, dip drive + shoulder shrug, dip + shrug + high elbows, etc. I got good feedback on my squat position, and my starting position for deadlifts. Makes me wish I had a class nearby I could attend.

Similar instruction for the kip - we broke it down into its component parts: shoulder movement, hip movement, etc. I was not very successful, but I'll keep practicing.

Workout: 21-15-9 Power snatches & kipping pull-ups.
(Supposedly for time, but I was concentrating on form, and another trainer had stolen his stopwatch.)
It felt sloppy and uncoordinated, but I definitely have a better idea of what I should be doing, so that's good.

Yay CrossFit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home