Training Adventures

My personal fitness log. Advice, support, constructive criticism, motivation, and other feedback welcome!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Lacking focus. Public ramblings. Read at your own risk. :-)

I was planning on going to CrossFit tonight, but opted to stay home and catch up on my New Yorker reading instead. Why? I'm a little worn out tonight (and just started my period), but those aren't very good excuses for not exercising AT ALL today... and hardly at all recently. I feel like I need some good, clear short- and long-term goals. Becoming a better Ultimate player? Definitely... but tournaments are a looong ways away, so it's easy to procrastinate on that front. Losing body fat? For sure. To that end, I'm cutting calories (which goes directly against your advice, A, I know!!) in hopes of fitting into last year's jeans by February... and definitely feeling low-energy as a result. But I just want to shed some inches from my hips and then I'll do it right...

I don't want to do CrossFit for its own sake. I don't really care how much weight I can lift... although I like being strong. And I believe I could become incredibly fit if I stick with CF. But what's the greater purpose of that? Ultimate, I suppose. I'd love to be a great player. But I still can't/don't layout, I'm not aggressive, etc. Being fit would make the game more enjoyable for me personally... maybe I just need to stop comparing myself to everyone else. Hmm.

Jeez, clearly I need to spend more time articulating this stuff to myself. I don't know what I want!

3 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger mie said...

There was a period where i absolutely resented crossfit. i felt like it took away everything i liked about life. like i was cheating myself if i did an aerobics workout, or i'd feel guilty if had a bagel.

i don't have any particular goals either, so it's hard to stay motivated.
i sort of got myself back on cf again, and am enjoying it now, because i'm just taking it one day at a time. I'm trying not to set up some lofty goals (like weightloss). when i do that, i always fail, and that's stressful.

I'd say take some time away from cf if you are not feeling up to it. once you've done cf, i'm sure you'll bring the same intensity to ultimate. besides, you can always wake up one day and say to yourself -i think i'll do a wod today.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

i agree with mie-chan. sounds like you are burned out, big time. go take a week off from strenuous exercise. when you come back on, just do stuff you feel like doing and no more. ease into it and gradually you'll get a sense for what you want. keep us updated.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Libby said...

You two are great - thanks so much for your support.

I woke up feeling much better this morning, so maybe the rant was good for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home